Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's preventing live web cams at the Races?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's preventing live web cams at the Races?

We are in the year 2012, Web Cams are the norm and another year will soon be over. What's preventing 5, 10, 20 live, high quality, viewer controlled, web cams from being installed at the Races that could cover practically ever square inch of the place, inside and outside?

Think about this, the Occupy Oakland demonstrators had 3-4 LiveStream/UStream video people walking in their street protests, and their is NO money involved in that.

If money is the issue, accept donations for the costs involved. Think of the people who could then view what they cannot see in person.

What's preventing this from happening?
    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 08-15-2012, 09:39 PM.

Re: What's preventing live web cams at the Races?

All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!

You need to do just a tiny bit of research before you ask....this was only a couple of threads down on the first page with your answer.

Comment

Big_Jim, SkyvanDelta (also) already started a thread almost exactly a year ago titled: "What's preventing the Reno Races from broadcasting live on the Internet for free?" In the course of that 5 page thread he asked lots of questions regarding his (clearly heartfelt) issue, and got lots of answers from the AAFO membership.

All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!

So he, of all people, is the one that already knows that the question has already been asked.

SkyvanDelta, perhaps you really do care enough about this issue, that you should be the one that makes it actually happen. I think we all agree that it would be a good thing if live web cam coverage became available for the future.

Chuck
      Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
        http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showthread.php?t=10227

You need to do just a tiny bit of research before you ask....this was only a couple of threads down on the first page with your answer.
        The link above shows an application for a smarthphone from LoadedTV.com. Says nothing about Web Cams controlled by the viewer which is the question I'm seeking answers for.

Take a look at the site and see if you can figure out what they are going to show at the Reno Air Races. Appears vague to me. Here it is: http://loadedtv.com/

Comment

I just read all the threads in the post. And it was written August 2011. We are in 2012, a new year. Some things change, some remain the same. Looks like another year without Web Cams at the Air Races.

The only logical reason that comes to my mind "Why there are no web cams at the Air Races" is because RARA wants to charge too much money to allow the web cameras either because they link they will lose attendance or because they feel that maybe somebody might make some money hosting the web cameras.

If I had the ability to make this happen, I would. Somebody tell me who the biggest top 5 local web camera people are in the US and I will contact them. There is enough time to get this done, 27 days as of now.

Originally posted by C_roundy View Post
          Big_Jim, SkyvanDelta (also) already started a thread almost exactly a year ago titled: "What's preventing the Reno Races from broadcasting live on the Internet for free?" In the course of that 5 page thread he asked lots of questions regarding his (clearly heartfelt) issue, and got lots of answers from the AAFO membership.

So he, of all people, is the one that already knows that the question has already been asked.

SkyvanDelta, perhaps you really do care enough about this issue, that you should be the one that makes it actually happen. I think we all agree that it would be a good thing if live web cam coverage became available for the future.

Chuck

Comment

The Sea Lions at Pier 39 and the Exploratorium at Crissy Field on the Marina in San Francisco have their own web camera, why can't the Air Races have web cameras?

At SanFranciscoBay.com, we have an in-depth, detailed list of traffic reports to help you get around town when you're visiting the area!

Comment

So just out of curiosity...instead of complaining about it on a message board, have you actually contacted RARA to get information? Maybe see if you could be part of the solution instead of the problem?

Comment

So just out of curiosity...instead of complaining about it on a message board, have you actually contacted RARA to get information? Maybe see if you could be part of the solution instead of the problem?
                Gee, that sounds like my question last year.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
                  The Sea Lions at Pier 39 and the Exploratorium at Crissy Field on the Marina in San Francisco have their own web camera, why can't the Air Races have web cameras?

http://www.sanfranciscobay.com/live/baycams.htm

Perhaps because Sammy the seal or some experimenter who invented a new Cosmic Ray detector never asked for a fee for broadcasting content, be it on TV, cable or the internet?

In other words, different venue altogether. Race events are not the same animal.

Even long-time NASCAR doesn't offer what you seek. They put 4 webcams on each the tracks for their race events, but those only update STILL images once a minute with no live video, be it hi-def, medium quality or so-so.

Let's face it...RARA makes little to nothing if you don't actually attend the races and buy tickets, T-shirts, souvenirs, etc. on-site. It's not THEIR fault if the boss says we have to work that precious September week, or one of us is too ill or overburdened with life's hassles to travel, or whatever the reason one stays home this year.

They have a business to run, and this is one business I MOST DEFINITELY want to see succeed.

If someone can think of a way to pay for such a high-definition web video broadcast system and knows of a way for the races can make money from it, I'm sure those-in-charge would be more than willing to listen to your plan. Just drop them an email with an outline of the details.

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 08-16-2012, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
                    Perhaps because Sammy the seal or some experimenter who invented a new Cosmic Ray detector never asked for a fee for broadcasting content, be it on TV, cable or the internet?
                    Regarding Sammy the Seal, the Pier 39 Web Cam may draw people who have never been there before to go see the Seals ie, "Mommy, Daddy, can we go to Pier 39? We see the seals on the Web Cam but we want to go in person and see them live. Can we go, please?"

The Exploratorium Web Cam is not inside the Exploratorium but sits on top of the roof and allows you views North, West and East showing the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, TransAmerica Building and part of the Bay.
                    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 08-16-2012, 06:47 PM.

Comment

I just sent them an email with this question at their Contact Us link from their website:

Would you have one of your employees go to this website and answer the question "Why are there no web cams at the Reno Air Races?" http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showt...d=1#post103816
                      Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 08-16-2012, 06:55 PM.

Comment

I just sent them an email with this question at their Contact Us link from their website:

Would you have one of your employees go to this website and answer the question "Why are there no web cams at the Reno Air Races?" http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showt...d=1#post103816
                        I don't think that is avery appropriate way to contact RARA.That is not the way they operate - they talk on the telephone or through letters and e-mailsI have given you all their contact names and addresses last year and you did not follow up

Why don't you write them a polite letter and lay out the whole scheme and they will respond.

Comment

Would you have one of your employees go to this website and answer the question "Why are there no web cams at the Reno Air Races?"

Originally posted by ShermB View Post
                          I don't think that is avery appropriate way to contact RARA.That is not the way they operate ...

I have to agree. It sounds more like an instruction a boss of some business might give to a department manager to pass a task on to one of his employees, rather than a polite request from a concerned fan. At the very least a "Could you please..." rather than "Would you..." might have been a better way to start, and asking for a return reply instead of offering a chore would have concluded it better.
                          Last edited by AirDOGGe; 08-16-2012, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShermB View Post
                            I don't think that is avery appropriate way to contact RARA.That is not the way they operate - they talk on the telephone or through letters and e-mailsI have given you all their contact names and addresses last year and you did not follow up

Why don't you write them a polite letter and lay out the whole scheme and they will respond.
                            If you go to their website and click on "Contact Us" all you get is a box to complete. There is no email address.

I did follow up just now. I've invited them to this forum and have asked them to respond. Seems pretty clear and simple to me.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
                              I have to agree. It sounds more like an instruction a boss of some business might give to a department manager to pass a task on to one of his employees, rather than a polite request from a concerned fan. At the very least a "Could you please..." rather than "Would you..." might have been a better way to start, and asking for a return reply instead of offering a chore would have concluded it better.
                              I was polite, brief and to the point, that's what matters.
                              Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 08-16-2012, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X