Vintage video: 1983 flight of Travis AFB Museum C-124

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage video: 1983 flight of Travis AFB Museum C-124

I know I'm cutting it close to OT, but each one of these had enough R-4360-63As hanging on it to support 1 1/3rd the fleet of the 4360-powered racers at Reno that year:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K44L3KmoBU[/YT]

Listen carefully at 4:13 thru 4:15.

This was sadly no longer true when the McChord AFB Museum went looking for engines to ferry theirs from Selfridge in 1985.
    Last edited by 88SC; 08-02-2012, 01:33 PM.

Re: Vintage video: 1983 flight of Travis AFB Museum C-124

Old Shaky sure was one butt-ugly airplane. But butt-ugly has never been so cool!

I just saw the McChord one a couple weeks back.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by 88SC View Post
      I know I'm cutting it close to OT, but each one of these had enough R-4360-63As hanging on it to support 1 1/3rd the fleet of the 4360-powered racers at Reno that year:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K44L3KmoBU[/YT]

Listen carefully at 4:13 thru 4:15.

This was sadly no longer true when the McChord AFB Museum went looking for engines to ferry theirs from Selfridge in 1985.
      Thanks for sharing that! I would have loved to have seen one of those in the air. Sad to think of all the stuff no longer flying!

Spacegrrrl

Comment

I remember years ago, I think it was sometime in the late 60's or early 70's when you could still flyin to the Air Races at Stead. They use to park airplanes along the north/south runway, which is no longer in use. Anyway, I was out there checking the airplane, and here comes a C-124 taxing by. Had the crewmember standing up in the upper hatch, and one thing I will never forget, and I do love, were the squeaky brakes.........who could ever forget that sound. Ugly, yes, but ooooooooooooooh so beautiful she was.
        Brian

Comment

There is a unique sound change at 7:15-7:16 where it gets this low growling sound as it is sideways to the camera. Real cool sound.

Here's another video where former flight crew explain the planes systems: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NoB0...layer_embedded
          Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 08-02-2012, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Here's an interesting video I found, looks like Richard Jaeckel. A caption said something about an episode of "Flight" Anyone know about this? Not sure what the deal is about the guy hanging out the back on the tether.
            Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
            Last edited by supercub; 08-02-2012, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Notice the turbine engine in the nose.
              Last edited by supercub; 08-02-2012, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Iwas taken from Okinawa to Da Nang, Viet-Nam in one on my first deployment. Rode on the top deck Slow, noisey, rickety and painfull..

Comment

Boy do I remember that "BWOOOOW" sound from when they'd drone across the north end of the SF Bay when I was a kid. They'd usually head west in in the morning and that big silver slab-sided fuselage reflected the morning sun like a mirror. The Pratts and props rattled our large picture window. (The 133s did that too.) Love all the Guard guys joking about TOLD data and no-notice checkrides.

Comment

I remember the day it arrived (I lived in Vacaville) it made a pass over town. As I was looking for the source of the sound the phone rang. It was a friend telling me to go outside to see it fly over. By the time I got back out there it was gone!
                    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                      http://forum.keypublishing.com/attac...1&d=1228090893
                      Notice the turbine engine in the nose.
                      New type of engine oil pre-heater for those colder than freezing mornings ???

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by spacegrrrl View Post
                        Thanks for sharing that! I would have loved to have seen one of those in the air. Sad to think of all the stuff no longer flying!

Spacegrrrl
                        I missed my chance to see the McChord AFB Museum C-124 in the air when it arrived in October, 1987 - using engines borrowed from Travis. I had to work...

Comment

Working...
                        X