PDA

View Full Version : RACES ON!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you NCOT!!! :-)

Tigercat24
07-26-2012, 09:00 AM
From the Gazette Journal this morning:

NCOT approves $600k for Reno Air Races to ensure event goes forward this year:

The Nevada Commission on Tourism on Thursday approved $600,000 in surplus room tax revenue go to the National Championship Air Races, ensuring the event will go forward in 2012.

In a unanimous vote via teleconference, NCOT commissioners unanimously approved the funding.

This is a developing story and will be updated as more information becomes available.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:
:D:D:D:D

Tigercat24
07-26-2012, 09:01 AM
UPDATE:

The Nevada Commission on Tourism on Thursday approved $600,000 in surplus room tax revenue for the National Championship Air Races, ensuring the event will go forward in 2012.

In a unanimous vote via an early-morning teleconference, NCOT commissioners unanimously approved the funding for what Nevada Lieutenant Gov. Brian Kroliciki, chairman of the board, called “an extraordinary need” for the event to continue.

The Reno Air Racing Association, which puts on the Air Races each September, was scrambling to raise $2 million to cover the insurance premium needed for this year’s races – a premium that increased significantly after last year’s tragic crash that killed 11 people and injured more than 70.

“With our expected sponsorships and commitments, we are so proud to be able to announce that we have achieved the funding requirements necessary to hold what will surely be our most emotional and highly anticipated event in our 49-year history,” Mike Houghton, president and CEO of the Air Races said in a statement.

The Air Races are scheduled for Sept. 12-14 at Reno Stead Airport.

Desertdawg
07-26-2012, 09:09 AM
Thanks for posting.

Thats so awesome it brought tears of joy to my eyes.

:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug: :beerchug::beerchug:

Leo
07-26-2012, 09:11 AM
Ya beat me to it!
I figured some "sugar daddy" would come through when it came down to the wire.
Good for them!
:beerchug::thumbsup::woot:

Tigercat24
07-26-2012, 09:13 AM
Everyone needs a good sugardaddy at least once :p

gokrt driver
07-26-2012, 09:15 AM
Thank you NCOT. Great news :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug: :beerchug::beerchug:

Leo
07-26-2012, 09:18 AM
It goes to show that the powers take this sport and the income it brings seriously. Thanks again NCOT!

BTW there is a billboard downtown advertising the races with none other than Sparky on it!
Go Sparky!

N22252
07-26-2012, 09:36 AM
Awesome News!:beerchug:

If the math is as it seems, I'd say the sponsor/donor activity has been impressive. It was two weeks ago that RARA annnounced that they needed $1,000,000 to keep the races alive. So, if $600,000 pays the bill today, that would mean that "the rest of us" came up with $400,000 in the past 14 days:beerchug:

Tigercat24
07-26-2012, 09:37 AM
I can almost already hear the bee-out-of-hell buzz of Strega, the rolling thunder of Rare Bear, the eerie-to-angry howl of 232, the spaceship noise of Precious Metal, the bass overload of La Patrona...you get the idea! :-D

NOVA
07-26-2012, 09:48 AM
The :deal: is done!

Looking forward to the races! :beerchug:

SkyvanDelta
07-26-2012, 09:52 AM
From the moment RARA started asking for donations, I think RARA should have stepped forward and posted the results of how much money was donated by private funds. It seems to be the appropriate thing to do if you want public donations.

I wonder how much Nevada would have lost in taxes if the races were cancelled?

Awesome News!:beerchug:

If the math is as it seems, I'd say the sponsor/donor activity has been impressive. It was two weeks ago that RARA annnounced that they needed $1,000,000 to keep the races alive. So, if $600,000 pays the bill today, that would mean that "the rest of us" came up with $400,000 in the past 14 days:beerchug:

Leo
07-26-2012, 10:00 AM
They say they bring $80-100 million to the local economy on average. Room taxes, sales taxes, fuel taxes (fans driving) plus the taxes on the gaming. It's got to be substantial. I have not been able to find numbers though.

Air Boss
07-26-2012, 10:58 AM
Best news I've heard in ages! Hat's off to everyone at RARA, NCOT, City of Reno, Airport Authority, FAA, etc. for navigating some pretty treacherous waters over these last several months.

The countdown clock it ticking folks...less than 50 days until we once again gather in the high desert to celebrate the World's Fastest Motorsport.

It will likely be an emotional mix of melancholy, memories, and metal. I, for one, am anxious beyond words.

Well done to all who had a hand in this. Each of us provided momentum and motivation...pat yourselves on the back. And be sure to say, "Thank You!" to every RARA rep you encounter in September.

Congrats Everyone...see you soon.

V1670
07-26-2012, 12:40 PM
RARA=Reno Air Race Awesomeness!!

Thanks RARA, NCOT.....you people rock!!!

AAFO_WSagar
07-26-2012, 03:04 PM
Ya beat me to it!
I figured some "sugar daddy" would come through when it came down to the wire.
Good for them!
:beerchug::thumbsup::woot:You can just betcha that they were aware of the donations by fans as well... remember, I told ya, folks were watching OUR reaction to the shortfall....

The NCAR is, by far, the most unique aviation event held anywhere in the world... it is only held in Reno, Nevada, home of the National Championship Air Races...

Long Live RARA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I KNEW we could do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Let's keep them donations coming though... the purse can ALWAYS use help!!!!!

See ya in September!!!!!

taglialavore
07-26-2012, 04:02 PM
Congratulations to all the people that made this unique event too happen every year. :beerchug:

supercub
07-26-2012, 04:50 PM
GREAT NEWS, THANKS TO ALL, I can't wait.
Brian

C_roundy
07-26-2012, 05:58 PM
I am so proud of, and grateful for the Nevada Commission on Tourism's priorities and conviction, that this action shows, that I could just bust!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::hug::hug::hug::luvl ove::luvlove::luvlove::worship::worship::worship: :smooch:

I've got goosebumps, a HUGE lump in my throat, and an even bigger grin that I can't wipe off my face!!!

Lets flood NCOT with a GAZILLION thank you letters!!!:type::type::type::type::type::type:

Faith in humanity restored BIGTIME,
Chuck Roundy :beerchug:

John H
07-26-2012, 11:22 PM
Hi guys,

I've fought this decision on a daily basis for 10 months now,I am definitely going to the races. My friends that were there are too. One of them was at my gig last Sat, just by coincidence , and it's his " Hell yeah I'm going to Reno " boast, and seeing all his exciting marketing party plans that really kind of did me in. I ain't missing that bus Jim!!! Reading your enthusiastic posts daily has also slowly pushed me over the edge. I always have left it open. I also know this: if it were me that wasn't here, I would not want Reno to stop. If we can get a good year in and finally get a Gold race at last we can start at last move on from the terrible tragedy.

Coyote Chris
07-29-2012, 09:04 PM
Just got back from Oshkosh....Got to hear the news in advance from the RARA tent but had to keep it under my hat....I am still giving bucks....Personally, I think it would be a good thing if state and local govt gives bucks too as they make lots of tax dollars....
Other notes....
Mr. O and the big 4360 Corsair "74" did a great demo as usual, by the way. 2 Thunder mustangs...and 74 by the RARA tent .NTSB had a very interesting display of the Reno crash...a big mural of images from the flight at critical times...will try and post pics later...6 guys at the NTSB have been working on the accident and the board will conviene in three weeks.....look for some suprises in the report. They didnt swear me to secrecy but in a case of this import I dont want to get anything wrong.
Just sayin'. A-36 was awesome. I am sure Mr. Adams will post some good pics. Great slide show and movie about Glacier Girl. Saw some other great lectures....I am voting for Col. C. McGee (Redtails) for president. At 92, the guy is great and sharp as a tack. He is a big BoyScout supporter and he says that if we all adopted their mottos and cread, plus found a passion and and chased it, like he chased flying, this would be a better country. Didnt know he flew for 27 out of the 30 years he was in the service and had the most number of combat missions of anyone in the Airforce over three wars....
Will put pics up on my photobucket site and post a link....
Chris who just drove 1800 miles in 2.5 days

spinner
07-30-2012, 07:55 AM
12 mil per day is a way big incentive for the greater Reno area to turn down. That boils down to 500k/hr. Business as usual. Good for NCOT to step forward and save us all. A big thanks to Mike and crew for a job very well done. Billboard of Sparknot downtown Leo? My God...whod a thunk. See y'all in 40 days or so.

Leo
07-30-2012, 08:02 AM
Yep, Steve. Right on 395 by the GSR. One of those fancy changing ones. Sparky banked around a pylon. Do you get residuals?:D
Looking forward to the week. See you then!

New GG info? Hope they found a definitive cause and workable solution.

Coyote Chris
07-30-2012, 05:45 PM
FYI here are my pics from the NTSB OSH booth....six guys, one year of work...laying out whats left, studying changes made to the control system, etc....sorry for the quality but it is readable.
http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd385/CoyoteChris303/ntsb/

jimmyboyB50
08-02-2012, 02:44 PM
Great news. Can anyone confirm that RARA has the funds to meet the insurance? I don't see anything on the RARA site.

Come on tell me good news...

ShermB
08-02-2012, 07:37 PM
It has been on the National news wires., the Reno papers and news, even in my little town there was ana article. The Convention Bureau people have given RARA $600,000 for the insurance payment. It has also been on all racing and aviation boards, so don't know how you misssed it.

NCOT = to be precise. You might google them and send them a thank you letter. They are base in Carson City, and the Lt. Govenor seemed to be the spokesman in the interviews.

Coyote Chris
08-02-2012, 09:02 PM
It has been on the National news wires., the Reno papers and news, even in my little town there was ana article. The Convention Bureau people have given RARA $600,000 for the insurance payment. It has also been on all racing and aviation boards, so don't know how you misssed it.

NCOT = to be precise. You might google them and send them a thank you letter. They are base in Carson City, and the Lt. Govenor seemed to be the spokesman in the interviews.
Good Idea....
Mailing Address

Nevada Commission on Tourism
401 North Carson Street
Carson City, NV 89701

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Call Us
•Direct: (775) 687-4322
•Toll-free: 1-800-NEVADA-8
•Fax: (775) 687-6779

Betty, here are my OSH pics.
http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd385/CoyoteChris303/Oshkosh%202012/