Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dreadnought moved on a trailer from Reno, NV to Ione, CA in 2008 photo story link.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dreadnought moved on a trailer from Reno, NV to Ione, CA in 2008 photo story link.

Interesting story and photos about moving Dreadnought on a trailer from the Air Races back to it's home in Ione, CA. http://www.sandersaircraft.com/aircr...ought-move.asp

Hello Ma, Hello Pa? This is you son. I'm traveling down the highway, and I could swear I'm seeing a Sea Fury on the back of a semi truck. It looks like the prop is on the front of a lowboy trailer, and the fuselage is tilted like it's in a bank and the wings are off lying on the tail end of the trailer. Yeah I'm tired but no I haven't been drinking and I'm not hallucinating.

When viewing the photos of the move, is there a way to see the photos without having to click each individual photo and then close it? Is there a way to click on an advance arrow instead?

Is there another way to transport broken airplanes via air, like the way the Space Shuttle sits on top of a 747, or inside the Super Guppy Airplane or do you either fly it or truck it? I guess the Super Guppy would be too expensive? Speaking of the Super Guppy, look at the photos of it in this link, bizarre airplane: http://www.warbirdinformationexchang...39eb11c81da7fa Is the upper portion polished or painted silver? It looks like polished aluminum. Can you imagine the time it takes to keep that area clean and bright?

Suppose you could attach the broken plane to the top of the tow plane, how big of a plane would you need to carry Strega or Dreadnought back home? Could a Twin Otter or a C130 carry Strega on top like the Space Shuttle and it's tow 747? Or if you blew the motor, could you tow it behind a tow plane like the way a tow plane tows a glider to altitude?

Smaller sailboats and powerboats are frequently moved across oceans on larger ships that partially sink, then they float the sailboat/powerboat onboard, secure it, then raise the larger ship and power away. Like this: http://www.yacht-transport.com/homepage.html
    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 07-14-2012, 10:36 PM.

Re: Dreadnought moved on a trailer from Reno, NV to Ione, CA in 2008 photo story link

There's always the Fulton recovery system (You've seen it in James Bond's "Thunderball" and Wayne's "Green Beret's", the "snatch and grab"). In WW2 they tested it for aircraft recovery. Prop was removed from a P-47, a bridle attached to the shaft and a C-47 picked it up on the fly and towed it.
    Awful big glider at the destination and I bet exhausting to fly a tow for any amount of time. Can you box the wake of a C-47?
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Re: Dreadnought moved on a trailer from Reno, NV to Ione, CA in 2008 photo story link

I looked up the Fulton Recovery System on Wikipedia and thought this part was funny:

"Fulton first used instrumented dummies as he prepared for a live pickup. He next used a pig, as pigs have nervous systems close to humans. Lifted off the ground, the pig began to spin as it flew through the air at 125 mph (200 km/h). It arrived on board uninjured but in a disoriented state. Once it recovered, it attacked the crew."

That's got to be funny. Bringing in a pig into the airplane, then the pig attacks the crew because it's angry from being spun around and recovered from the ground.

I did not see anything about the recovery of complete aircraft, just people rescue.

here's the Thunderball movie version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dekJ2Ip7koo

here's the John Wayne movie version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17z9A...eature=related

Originally posted by Leo View Post
      There's always the Fulton recovery system (You've seen it in James Bond's "Thunderball" and Wayne's "Green Beret's", the "snatch and grab"). In WW2 they tested it for aircraft recovery. Prop was removed from a P-47, a bridle attached to the shaft and a C-47 picked it up on the fly and towed it.
      Awful big glider at the destination and I bet exhausting to fly a tow for any amount of time. Can you box the wake of a C-47?
      Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 07-18-2012, 05:07 PM.

Comment

It's in an issue of "Impact" the Air Corps magazine. A P-47 being picked up by a C-47. Dont know if it was considered the Fulton system but it is the same method. The same article was about human recovery also. Not for me!
        As an aside to the pig, my dad was a loadmaster on 130's in Vietnam. Once they were carrying water buffalo to some village and one broke loose. It was running around the plane and the pilot said shoot it or get rid of it. They opened the back and out it ran. His last recollection was of it falling through space still running...
        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

With wings off it could probably sit INSIDE the Hercules, but I think the biggest issue here is cost.

if you can ship by ground instead of using airlift services, then you can save a lot of green. Feeding a C-130 or big heli is costly! Imagine the increase in that price if you had to engineer, design, install and certify mods for piggyback payloads.

But I just wanted to mention that Air & Space just ran an article on piggyback aircraft last month worth reviewing. It might give an idea of how large a carrier aircraft for a Sea Fury might need to be:

LINK: http://www.airspacemag.com/history-o...ch-Hikers.html

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 07-19-2012, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X