Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens to the Practice/Qualifying/Race Schedule if it Rains?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens to the Practice/Qualifying/Race Schedule if it Rains?

What happens to the Practice/Qualifying and Racing Schedule if it does shower/rain? Are the planes allowed to Practice/Qualify/Race if it's raining, showering, ground damp and wet...?
    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 06-29-2012, 09:28 AM.

Re: What happens to the Practice/Qualifying/Race Schedule if it Rains?

The show must go on. Seen them flying in rain, wind, dust storms, snow, and even with the sun shining. Several years ago there was a fairly heavy rain shower on the far end of the unlimited course during a heat race. Several of the planes came back with paint stripped off the leading edges of everything and notable erosion of the leading edge of the prop blades.

Comment

Back in 82 it rained a LOT. They just bumped the quali schedule around to fit between storms. In 78 they did the same on race day. In 85 they lost Monday due to rain and made it up.
      I've seen them cancel Bipes and Formula's because of wind and delay races due to rain and snow, and wind. 2010 was the first time I saw the unlimiteds cancelled due to weather.
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

^ What Leo said. '78 it was beautiful on Saturday and then windy/cold/snow on Sunday. They delayed the Gold, but eventually got it off. Big Steve's first win. '82 was WET, but they finally got in the big race. Dago's first win. Just bring your umbrella and some patience. No matter what the weather, it's a great event.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
          Back in 82 it rained a LOT. They just bumped the quali schedule around to fit between storms. In 78 they did the same on race day. In 85 they lost Monday due to rain and made it up.
          I've seen them cancel Bipes and Formula's because of wind and delay races due to rain and snow, and wind. 2010 was the first time I saw the unlimiteds cancelled due to weather.
          The formulas and most bipes can't fly in rain due to their props. Composite props get destroyed very quickly by rain especially at high RPM.

Comment

1. Is there any information on the internet that specifically states the weather at Stead and the affects it had on the Reno Air Races in the past years? Like an air race fan that also is into meteorology and takes detailed notes of such?

2. Are the planes allowed to practice/qualify/race if it's showering/raining?
            Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 06-29-2012, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
              1. Is there any information on the internet that specifically states the weather at Stead and the affects it had on the Reno Air Races in the past years? Like an air race fan that also is into meteorology and takes detailed notes of such?
              Maybe, but none I'm aware of. However, there's billions of websites on the 'net, far more than I could ever visit, so who knows?

I'd suggest doing some "Googling" of the topic to see what you can come up with. I think the odds of winning at the the Blackjack tables at Circus Circus might be better than that of finding a WEATHER HISTORY OF THE RENO AIR RACES AND IT'S INFLUENCE UPON website though.

2. Are the planes allowed to practice/qualify/race if it's showering/raining?

Only if conditions allow for it. As Race5 mentioned, some aircraft components shouldn't be run in certain conditions. The Unlimiteds can fly in worse conditions than the smaller aircraft, but still have their limits.

Final decisions are often made shortly before race time. Conditions can go from OK or SO-SO to NO-WAY at Stead seemingly in a matter of minutes sometimes.

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 06-29-2012, 06:48 PM.

Comment

"If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes" is what we say here.
                Back in 2003 (2004?) they flew with snow on the back side of the course.
                I've seen crosswinds tip mustangs (85) and watched bipes make attempt after attempt to land in gusts. A couple of years ago we watched a dust devil put plywood a hundred feet in the air near the field. I had a trampoline sucked out of my yard and dropped a couple blocks away.
                I've always felt that if a particular class bows out they probably have a d@mn good reason!
                Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Last year it rained a bit during quals. oh whatd'ya call that stuff that's rain but never reaches the ground? You could see it out at the far side of the course and off to the west. Jets were running practice during this with no ill effects. Whatever the case, there's always good folks around to huddle in the hangars and shoot the breeze.

Comment

Virga - unless you like that falling feeling , it's something less capable a/c deviate around.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                    X