G.A. aircraft down near Watsonville Sunday... Pilot OK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.A. aircraft down near Watsonville Sunday... Pilot OK

AirDOGGe: They say any landing you can walk away from,......Well, you know the rest...

Plane from skydiving company crash-lands in Watsonville-area orchard

- A pilot made an emergency landing in an apple orchard off Freedom Boulevard on Sunday afternoon and walked away from the impromptu landing uninjured, sheriff's deputies said.

Authorities responded to a report of a downed plane about 12:40 p.m. approximately one-half mile from Watsonville Municipal Airport off Freedom Boulevard between Airport Boulevard and Buena Vista Drive.

The pilot works for a local skydiving company and was on his way back from a skydiving trip when the 1956 Cessna 182 experienced a power surge and then complete engine failure about three miles from the airport, Sgt. Robin Mitchell said.

The pilot put the plane in a glide pattern and was able to clear some tall trees near Corralitos Creek to land in a safe spot, Mitchell said.

Some trees were damaged, she said. But the property owner, a local firefighter, and emergency responders on scene were more focused on the pilot surviving the crash, Mitchell said.

"Everyone is just relieved that the pilot is OK," she said.

Deputies contacted the Federal Aviation Administration, which referred them to the National Transportation Safety Board, Mitchell said. That agency will work with the plane owner to see what caused the engine to fail, she said.

The pilot was experienced and appeared to be in his mid-40s, she said.

Re: G.A. aircraft down near Watsonville Sunday... Pilot OK

Wow...
    I live in Watsonville/Aptos now and didnt hear about this..

J

Comment

I would suspect that the oil pressure decreased which caused the prop to run away and eventually killed the engine itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff E View Post
        Wow...
        I live in Watsonville/Aptos now and didnt hear about this..

J
        That's the way it should be. It's barely newsworthy. Solo wreck, no injuries, couple broken branches. I wish the press would do that more often.

Comment

I read about it in the local SAN JOSE Mercury News Monday. That's where I quoted the text from.

The photos came from the internet but are the same photos displayed in said newspaper.

Comment

Working...
          X