B-47 pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-47 pictures

I was wondering if you have any pics of the B-47 at all. My Dad was a mechanic based in Wichita, and England in the early 60's. This is still I think one of the slickest looking bombers ever. Its successor the B-52 is just plain ugly. I guess the B-52's nickname BUFF, isn't because it's pretty.

The attached image is of the last B-47 to be flown. I was working at Castle AFB sometime in the late 80's(?) and walked out of a maintenance building just in time to see it on final approach. From what I have heard, hopefully Mr. Larkins can confirm or correct this, the Air Force wanted to have the wings cut and it shipped via truck to Castle from China Lake(?). The museum had spent many hours getting into flying condition and had even located an active pilot that was certified on the type. In the end the museum won out and I was fortunate enough to see it touch the runway for the final time, too bad I did not have a camera with me. It is now on display at the Castle Air Museum in Atwater, CA.

Rick
    Attached Files

Comment

I have seen this plane also. I went to Castle in 1990 when the base was still active somewhat, but the museum was still open.

Comment

Ah reminds me of Jimmie Stewart going to Japan in Strategic Air Command! June, stop your cryin', he'll be back! Peas

Comment

B-47E

Yes Indeed, the B-47 was the most beautiful plane that the USAF ever had. Here is a photo of a late model B-47E (53-4232) at San Francisco in September 1959. The canopy is open and that changes the lines slightly so don't hold that against it!
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X