New Course......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Course......

........was designed by inganeers and autocad. When DreadNaught and the jets were flying it I dont think they ever got their wings level, and they didnt appear to be going all that fast. Steven H was driving the Buick. My best guestimate on speed is maybe 300-350. The jets appeared to go a little faster. So folks, looks like its going to be 3-4g all the way around. :P
    Down the valley of speed, yep they were banked. I sure hope this isnt the final new layout.

That being said there will still be races this year!!!!!

I took a friend who is bound to a wheel chair, he had the time of his 71yr old life I will be getting him up there for at least one day come september.

Sure was nice to be back at Stead
    Last edited by Bob; 06-14-2012, 07:29 PM. Reason: phat fingers and lots of sun

Re: New Course......

Originally posted by Bob View Post
    ........was designed by inganeers and autocad. When DreadNaught and the jets were flying it I dont think they ever got their wings level, and they didnt appear to be going all that fast. Steven H was driving the Buick. My best guestimate on speed is maybe 300-350. The jets appeared to go a little faster. So folks, looks like its going to be 3-4g all the way around. :P
    Down the valley of speed, yep they were banked. I sure hope this isnt the final new layout.

That being said there will still be races this year!!!!!

I took a friend who is bound to a wheel chair, he had the time of his 71yr old life I will be getting him up there for at least one day come september.

Sure was nice to be back at Stead
    Pardon my ingonrance but wouldn't pulling 3+ -4 g with the buffeting in close proximity trying to pass make for a more dangerous course than something a little less tight with a bit more wings level flight not being a pilot it would seem to me to be a retrograde step if any of the pilots Mr Whiteside Mr Penny Hacker care to enlighten me would appreciate it

Comment

Bob, I'm not sure you're right about the autocad thing.. LOTS of thought and planning have gone into the new layout..

I'll have more, before I leave, but have talked a lot with the folks who actually did the new layout work, have their, and the racers who are on the course's opinions... "It's different but it works" is about as close as I can get right now to an actual, put a name on it, "quote" from a racer..

Again, I'm going to try to get out and get some photos of the new layout, then try to juxtapose those with some aerial shots of the course and see what it looks like from the layman's view..

Big point is, we're racing in September!!!!!!! Do whatever you can to help support this!
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Hey Bob,

Regarding VoS, you enter later and exit sooner so I guess there in never a chance to bring the wings level. From my perspective in the pits, I did not notice a whole lot off difference except for the softer turn for the front stretch. A nameless pilot said pylon one seems tighter but all is good. I say that they have moved most of the pylons. Some a lot and others not so much.

But fear not everybody. It is still air racing, still the most awesome thing on the planet, still great to watch.
        Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
        Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

The pylon positions most likely will not be an issue. The new deadlines on the other hand.... Their will be less room to race side by side, and a lot more chance of flying in another aircraft's wake. Add in the proposed max altitude and there isn't much of an "out" the way the course is now. I'm sure there will be more tweaking between now ans Sept.

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce View Post
            But fear not everybody. It is still air racing, still the most awesome thing on the planet, still great to watch.
            Ahmen

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
              The pylon positions most likely will not be an issue. The new deadlines on the other hand.... Their will be less room to race side by side, and a lot more chance of flying in another aircraft's wake. Add in the proposed max altitude and there isn't much of an "out" the way the course is now. I'm sure there will be more tweaking between now ans Sept.
              What is the current max altitude?

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu View Post
                What is the current max altitude?

Jarrod
                Up to now there has not been one for the unlimiteds other than for qualifying where if you fly too high at home pylon the timing cameras can't see you. The new proposed max altitude for jet and unlimited is 250'.

Comment

Come Sept. we will know. I just hope it isn't like a demo race with no passing. Safety will be #1 this year so I think it will just be that. A safe race. The sounds & sights will still be there.
                  Lockheed Bob

Comment

I did some reading regarding the human body and the effects of g-force on it for extended times. 3-4g is quite tolerable it appears. Thats the same g-load that the space shuttle crews experience from lift off to orbit.

Come on Sept!!!!!!!

Comment

Did anyone besides me ask what Steve Hinton Jr. thought of the new course?

Comment

Originally posted by MMPerk View Post
                        Did anyone besides me ask what Steve Hinton Jr. thought of the new course?
                        so... what did he say?

Comment

Besides Hinton, I'm pretty sure that Dennis Sanders flew the course also if anybody wanted to get info from him.
                          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
                            ........was designed by inganeers and autocad.
                            Autocad doesn't "design" anything, it's the box of crayons that (some) ENGINEERS use to draw things.

Comment

It designs heartburn and frustration very well. Take it from a daily user and ex-beta tester, it really is a just very complicated, faster, replacement for the old pens.
                              It has some smarts, so to speak, but in the end it is garbage in, garbage out. It's the same way with enginerds...
                              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                              X