Presidential visit with miltary flyover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presidential visit with miltary flyover

I witnessed a unique sight in the skies this afternoon.

President Obama flew in and out of the bay area today during a visit to San Francisco, and often uses Moffett for parking his 747 (AF-1). He then usually hops from there via his limousine or a helicopter to his final destination, a politically-based dinner in S.F. in this case.

Thanks to him, today I got to see not one but TWO C-130 Hercs in the pattern for Moffett WITH REFUELING DROGUES DEPLOYED!(?)

And if that unusual sight isn't enough, they were flying in formation with at least 5 or 6 helicopters. 20 or 30 seconds later they were followed by 2 more C-130s with gear extending, but drogues stowed.

Maybe 10 minutes later two C-130s entered the pattern and landed. I assume they were the refueling aircraft that took longer to land because they had to stow their refueling equipment first. The helicopters had landed immediately after passing over me.

approx. 20 minutes after all that I saw the whole group of heli's take-off and head roughly north in a tight bunch, most likely for San Francisco. Was Obama on-board one of those aircraft? I believe so. They always use multiple helicopters as decoys on his trips.

Why the refueling aircraft? I believe the helicopters refueled from the C-130s just before arriving at the base. My best hunch is that they wanted the helicopters to land for Obama's use with nearly-full tanks, so he wouldn't have to wait impatiently for his ride to be filled up on the ground before boarding and leaving.... Can't keep the BIG BOSS waitin'!

No big Boeing though. I've never seen Air Force One over Mountain View despite many visits here. That famous 747 may have been on the base today, I cant say. I can only guess that despite the "AIR FORCE" One moniker, it's considered a non-military aircraft and never flies the left-hand pattern here as the military always does (Note that NASA, a civilian organization, always flies a right-hand pattern at Moffett).

From my location, I can only see the "lefties".

I just happen to have my pocket camera with me this time, and caught video footage of the main group on their downwind. Sorry about the shakiness at the end of the clip, as I was trying to avoid pointing the cam at the sun, which was glaring in my eyes during the last moments of the shoot.

(I recommend using full-screen mode):

Footage of a group of "Mil" aircraft passing overhead, including two C-130 Hercules cargo planes with refueling probes extended and several helicopters. Ther...

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_z274DZAsI&feature=plcp[/YT]
    Last edited by AirDOGGe; 06-14-2012, 12:16 AM.

Re: Presidential visit with miltary flyover

It was a unique sight of heli's and aircraft over the Bay Area today, but I don't think he was in town. He was here last week.

Michael

Comment

I saw them from work this AM at One Maritime Plaza (a.k.a. The Alcoa building).

That kind of sound gets your attention, even from the non-aviation folks near my cubicle.

Comment

Originally posted by Mluvara View Post
        It was a unique sight of heli's and aircraft over the Bay Area today, but I don't think he was in town. He was here last week.

Michael
        Aha. It was VICE-Prez Biden that was visiting, according to San Jose's Mercury News:

Posted: 06/13/2012 07:13:55 PM PDT
        Updated: 06/13/2012 07:17:20 PM PDT

CARMEL - Vice President Joe Biden will appear at a fundraiser for President Barack Obama's campaign at 8 a.m. Wednesday at Carmel's Sunset Center, San Carlos Street and Ninth Avenue.

There are no active airports near Carmel that can handle anything bigger than a Gulfstream that I am aware of, so they probably hopped from Moffett to Carmel and back. I must have caught them on the return trip.

What does the Vice President ride on as Air Force Two these days?

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 06-14-2012, 12:36 AM.

Comment

This is most likely the 29th Air Rescue Wing out of Moffett field. They operate the HC-130P and HH-60G. Unlikely it had anything to do with Presidential visit. Looks like training exercise.

Comment

We've had a lot of C-5 activity at Reno International the last week or so.
            Circuits and bumps mostly but it is staying here as I see it on the ground most mornings and evenings. A C-17 also.
            My office is about a mile off the end of the runway and when it goes over on takeoff that high pitched whine it has makes your teeth buzz!
            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by champ19 View Post
              This is most likely the 29th Air Rescue Wing out of Moffett field. They operate the HC-130P and HH-60G. Unlikely it had anything to do with Presidential visit. Looks like training exercise.
              I've lived here over 50 years and I've never seen training of that type, ever... and what kind of training would they be getting having the drogues deployed in the landing pattern?

It would appear you are correct though. I just found this info, posted 13 hrs ago:

"Our newsroom got a call about 15 minutes ago reporting that military helicopters were flying "really close" to the Bay Bridge. Our own reporter, Stephanie Martin, confirms the sighting: She says she saw four or five flying north in formation as she was driving on Cesar Chavez.

Captain Donny LeBlanc from Moffett Field tells KQED's Katrina Schwartz that the helicopters are part of a training mission from the 129th Rescue Wing of the Air National Guard. The helicopters are actually Pave Hawks, not Black Hawks, as some have speculated. The two types look almost identical, he said. The flight was to “familiarize ourselves with the local geography” since the Air National Guard is charged with rescue missions in the area.

Captain LeBlanc said the helicopters took off from and looped back around to Moffett. He didn’t know how close they got to the bridge, but said he'd look into it."

Still seeing new things ever day. This was definitely one of them
              Last edited by AirDOGGe; 06-14-2012, 08:59 AM.

Comment

I have seen the ARW HC-130s with hoses deployed and helos trailing pass in review many times going back to the days when they were equipt with E model Hercs and Jolly Greens. Usually it was part of a command change ceremony our a family day. Though I must admit only two helos were usually involved, could have been an "all up" occasion.

Frank

Comment

Working...
                X