Request for volunteers - Graham, WA June 23-24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request for volunteers - Graham, WA June 23-24

Another call for volunteers. We need volunteers to help out in Graham, Washington the weekend of June 23-24. There's wood to be cut and stacked at Larry and Tracy Cruz's home, and some landscaping to be done at Cheri McMichael's. Think Kindness has agreed to reimburse volunteers for their expenses, so you'll be reimbursed for gas, meals, lodging.

If you can spare just a couple of hours on one or both days, that would be great. I'll be driving up from Reno on Friday the 22nd and staying at the Best Western in Puyallup. We expect this will be the last work party, so please be there if you can. Thanks everyone.
    sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
    http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Re: Request for volunteers - Graham, WA June 23-24

Come on folks. This isn't for me. It's the last time we get to do something "big" for them, just to let them know we haven't forgotten just because the races are a go this year.

Larry continues to support the races even in the face of his injuries. Jim McMichael's was in the same box and lost his life, yet Cheri still loves the air races. Please, let's show them how much that kind of loyalty is appreciated by the air racing community.

Gives us just a few hours of your time on one day out of that weekend. I've managed to arrange for your expenses to be covered, but I can't make this happen without you.

Comment

Sandra,

I'm not sure I'll be back up north by then... down in Reno for PRS, then on to Vegas...

If I'm back, I'll try to get up there with a skilled friend in tow.

W
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
        Sandra,

I'm not sure I'll be back up north by then... down in Reno for PRS, then on to Vegas...

If I'm back, I'll try to get up there with a skilled friend in tow.

W
        That would be great, Wayne. At the moment, I'm looking at having funds and no help. But at the moment, it's pretty much me and my ex. And we're good, but not that good. lol

My dire need at the moment is a chainsaw or two, and a splitter.

Again, anyone that can join us, Think Kindness will reimburse you for your expenses.

Comment

Another minor emergency. The riding mower at the Cruz home died yesterday. A tearful Tracy Cruz says she has to replace it. They have 10 acres and there's no way Larry can get much done with a regular mower.

We're looking at about $1500. Can anyone pitch in so we can replace the mower?

No one is receiving any insurance money from RARA because of the litigation and some of the injured, like Larry, are drowning in medical bills and normal day to day expenses. Think Kindness is doing their best to help with them.

If you can go to Think Kindness (www.ThinkKindness.org) and make a donation, please state that it's to replace the Cruz mower, so that I can get it from them with no need to explain. Since it's earmarked, Think Kindness can just cut me a check to take to Tracy this weekend.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Sandra:

You still owe me pictures from last year.

On a separate note, give me a call regarding contributions for mower,

Donald McMullin
            Gilbert, AZ

Comment

Yikes, I've been remiss! I have them and can send them to you. lol

And thank you for the help with the mower.

I still need help for one or both days. Come help. I guarantee you a good time. We're going to cut down a couple trees, do a bit of cleanup, drink some beer, hang out with Larry and talk air racing. I think we'll even throw together a bbq. We're going to reimburse you for your expenses, so it won't even cost you anything.

An update on Larry: He just had another surgery done on his leg. They removed the rod, moved some muscle and did another skin graft. Tracy says the swelling in his foot is now gone, so that's great news.

Please remember everyone, we get to go back to our lives, but theirs has been changed forever by this accident. They're struggling and they still need help. This is our family. Please, please come give of your time. If I can come from Reno, and others can come from Oregon, surely you can get there if you live in Washington.

Originally posted by Donald McMullin View Post
              Sandra:

You still owe me pictures from last year.

On a separate note, give me a call regarding contributions for mower,

Donald McMullin
              Gilbert, AZ

Comment

Okay, I have $1000 going straight to Tracy & Larry.

Can anyone help out with the other $500? If you're not concerned about the tax deduction, you can send the check straight to the Cruz's.

Comment

We've covered the cost of the new mower! Thanks everyone!

Comment

I'm still in need of volunteers.

There's trees to be cut, split and stacked. If you have a chainsaw or a splitter, that would help a lot. I also need someone who can drive a tractor. There's also a new roof (asphalt shingles) to be put on Larry Cruz's barn.

We're doing a landscaping project at Cheri McMichael's. I know it doesn't sound terribly important, but it's really important to Cheri. Her husband Jim designed it and intended to start the work when he came back from Reno. He never made it home.

Because he died, there is no house retrofit to be done, no medical bills to help with. But every time Cheri looks into her backyard, she cries. Doing the landscaping project will give her a beautiful place where she can sit and in some small way, feel like Jim is there.

I'm leaving Reno with a couple of volunteers on Friday morning at 6:00am. I have a couple of volunteers who are coming from Oregon who will meet up with us on Saturday around 10am and will stay until 5pm.

Please guys, I need your help. If you can spend even one of the two days helping, that would be really great. You expenses will be reimbursed by Think Kindness.

I appreciate all the donations and help you've given. I need your time and energy one more time.

Oh, and Think Kindness is sending me with $4300 to cover the cost of the materials!
                    Last edited by sandramore; 06-20-2012, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Another plea for help. Currently I have 4 of us who will be there for both days, and another 3 volunteers for Saturday.

We've a load of work to do. If you can come and spend just a few hours....

If you have a chain saw, we're in dire need. There are an estimated 30 trees that were damaged in January's storm. We're hoping to get them dropped and hopefully cut into rounds.

We're going to rent a tractor with a brush hog and try to get the Cruz place cleaned up.

As you can tell, we're going to fall short without a few more hands to help out.

If you live in Washington, please come. So far volunteers are coming from California, Oregon and Nevada. Surely a few folks in Washington can come out for a day.

Again, Think Kindness is reimbursing all expenses, so this will cost you nothing but your time.

We're leaving tomorrow around 6:00-6:30am, but my phone will be on 24/7. Even if it's last minute, let me know and I'll give you the address and directions.

Thanks everyone.
                      Last edited by sandramore; 06-21-2012, 07:33 PM.

Comment

In Puyallup. Time for breakfast and then off to the Cruz home to see Larry & Tracy.

I know I'm being a pest, but we could still use help on one or both days. If you live in Washington and are only a couple of hours away, please, please come and help.

Wayne, you said you might be able to come. Are you back from Vegas? Give me a call or send me a text if you can make it.

Comment

Working...
                        X