Hey Pal, could you spare a million?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hey Pal, could you spare a million?

Assuming it is all legit, 17955 has an air racing connection so you are not even off topic. It formed up with Jeannie. Big Jim probably knows the story.
    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Ok...explain that, the guy has the stab for auction, and 4 lighted crochet hooks.....

I wonder if he will throw in the hooks?
      Fledgling Air Race and P-51 Junkie

Comment

Originally posted by xmh53wrench View Post
        Ok...explain that, the guy has the stab for auction, and 4 lighted crochet hooks.....

I wonder if he will throw in the hooks?
        Gotta have a front for your black operations....

Q: "Is this where they keep the spy planes?"

A: "No, we're...ummm... uh.... a craft supply shop... yeah that's it...Anybody wanna buy this rare Beanie Baby autographed by Kelly Johnson?"

Comment

Make for a great dining room table, though for a million bucks I'd probably SLEEP on the damn thing.

Hey! If I mounted that slab of titanium structure (still coated with radar-absorbing RAM) broadside-forward on the front of my van, would I be able to sneak past police radar guns while speeding?

Comment

That guy has been trying to sell that for at least a year now. And yes, there is a very cool pic of Jeanie in formation with 955 somewhere down near Edwards afb. I've tried to find more info on it, but apparently it was a very hush hush event.

955 can be seen at Edwards, just down the road from 980 which is at Dryden.

Will

Comment

Mount that slab side forward on your van and you probably wouldn't NEED radar protection. That much drag you probably couldn't even do the limit...
              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Well, I would angle it upwards to re-direct the radar waves, F-117 style...That might help reduce drag, and create INCREDIBLE front-end downforce as a bonus.

Nah. It would be better just to cover the front of the van with those pyramid-like RAM structures they line indoor radar testing facilities with:

It would make for one odd-looking vehicle, but think of the money saved in speeding tickets! At least in the days of the "National 55 mph Speed Limit" it would have sounded good to some.
                Last edited by AirDOGGe; 06-06-2012, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Let's see, increased tire wear, bearings, ball joints, bushings, a ticket might be cheaper.

Give those spikes the right look and nobody will ever cut you off!

At a concert recently we had a fan that got in with huge spikes on his neck, shoulders, wrists, ankles, etc. Kind of a "Road Warrior" look. We got concerned about having to deal with him in a fight (rent-a-cops) so a couple of us went and talked to him. Turned out they were rubber and foam, the guy was an insurance salesman and as nice as could be.
                  Certainly looked real.
                  Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                  airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                  thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                    And yes, there is a very cool pic of Jeanie in formation with 955 somewhere down near Edwards afb. I've tried to find more info on it, but apparently it was a very hush hush event.
                    I can PROMISE you that that flight never happened.

Sorry folks....photos removed because someone in particular couldn't play well with others, even though I clearly stated the photos were part of MY collection.
                    Last edited by Big_Jim; 06-07-2012, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post

But if it did it might have looked something like this:

(not my photos, just part of my collection)
                      Unless someone can produce a picture of Air Biscuit in formation with a Saturn V rocket, that will remain the coolest air-to-air shot ever
                      Last edited by N22252; 06-07-2012, 10:23 AM. Reason: Can't spell

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post

But if it did it might have looked something like this:

(not my photos, just part of my collection)
                        That second photo I've seen, and is the one I was talking about, the first one however I have never seen. Super cool. Two of my favorites in formation in the same pic. I can't remember who was flying 955 when the shot was taken, but I do remember reading about it in one of my books. (It might have been "Blackbird Rising" but I can't remember. The book is on loan to a friend so I can't go look it up.) I think it (didn't take) place just after one of the Mojave races.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                          That second photo I've seen, and is the one I was talking about, the first one however I have never seen. Super cool. Two of my favorites in formation in the same pic. I can't remember who was flying 955 when the shot was taken, but I do remember reading about it in one of my books. (It might have been "Blackbird Rising" but I can't remember. The book is on loan to a friend so I can't go look it up.) I think it (didn't take) place just after one of the Mojave races.

Will
                          No, the last Mojave race was in 1979. This was taken 1981/82 time-frame. Remember, Skip Holm was a test pilot in the Lockheed Skunk Works out at Palmdale and some guys by the name of Boland and Law worked in the same gig.

As I understand it, this flight really 'didn't' happen, and apparently Zeuschel had a big enlargement of the first photo up in his shop...and whenever Bruce or Pete came by the photo disappeared for plausable deniability.

Comment

Originally posted by N22252 View Post
                            Unless someone can produce a picture of Air Biscuit in formation with a Saturn V rocket, that will remain the coolest air-to-air shot ever

I dunno. I still think the photo with the Blackbird is cooler:

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 06-07-2012, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Thanks for posting that Big Jim.

Jarrod

Comment

Working...
                              X