Donald Douglas DC-3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donald Douglas DC-3

Hi everyone, after seeing a few pictures of the Santa Monica Museum of Flight in Air & Space. Does anyone have any other pictures or information on this aircraft. I really like the looks of the spinners, but knowing that most (99.99%) of DC-3 didn't have them. Did they help with any speed increase on that DC-3 (yes, I know speed is a subjective thing)

Thanks in advance for any information.

Dave
    Dave

Re: Donald Douglas DC-3

I haven't seen anything about the spinners, but I found this info on that particular aircraft, "The Spirit Of Santa Monica":

...Out front stood the DC-3 that for years was Douglas' personal plane. It was the last one built, said museum Chairman David Price, and its passengers included President Eisenhower, actor William Holden and crooner Bing Crosby.

I also found a page made about it's installation:

Comment

Re: Donald Douglas DC-3

It was in the Burbank ARCO hangar in the 80's with all of their Gulfstreams. Like the Garrett Marksman, ARCO wouldn't sell it to be flown because of liability concerns. It has gear doors and spinners and narrowed speed rings, modified exhausts, internal airflow mods, etc. Can't for the life of me remember the name of the mod center.
      Chris...

Comment

Working...
      X