Dream Chaser status ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dream Chaser status ?

Is this a real space shuttle replacement ?
    http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Re: Dream Chaser status ?

The Shuttle replacement is a space capsule similar to the Apollo item, only larger. It's called ORION and Lockheed is building it.

Dream Chaser is a commercial effort, one among many hoping to compete for flight contracts.

But truthfully, Dream Chaser is closer to the vehicle NASA wanted to build originally and should have built in the first place (See X-20 Dyna-Soar). Only because the military wanted to use it did the U.S. Space Shuttle end up large enough to carry a school bus to orbit.
    Last edited by AirDOGGe; 05-18-2012, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Great talk here by Burt Rutan on space travel.

Comment

I have some questions concerning Burt Rutans sub orbital passenger flights. First off, since this is going to be a commercial flight, is the FAA going to be involved? If so, are they going to certify the spacecraft? If this is the case, I can't imagine the process that will be involved. Look at the Lear Fan and the problems they ran into. Anyone that has been involved with a FAR Part 135 operation knows about the various manuals, procedures etc etc that have to be done.......and this is already in a field where thousands of operators are already established. Seems every little milestone with a commercial spaceship will evolve into a monumental task once the Gov't and the certification process gets started. Maybe the FAA will turn their back on commercial space flight like they intially did with the ultra lights and let people strap into a composite capsule and blast off into space. Rutan's company made what, three suborbital flights and now they're ready to go commercially into space........seems to me a mighty BIG jump, or as Neal said "One Giant Leap for Mankind". Don't get me wrong, I hope Rutans adventure goes great, I'd love to travel in space.
        Brian

Comment

Commercial space-transport start-ups began working with the FAA about this problem several years ago, not long after SpaceShipOne made it's record flight (if not before). The FAA already has an "Office of Commercial Space Transportation" department, and is gearing it up to deal with these new type of passenger-related spaceflights and create appropriate regulations all could live with. Being that this is a whole new industry, they have a lot of learning to do.

Here's one of the FAA's reports on the topic:

New Regulations Govern Private Human Space Flight Requirements for Crew and Space Flight Participants

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) today issued regulations establishing requirements for crew and space flight participants (passengers) involved in private human space flight. The new rules maintain FAA's commitment to protect the safety of the uninvolved public and call for measures that enable passengers to make informed decisions about their personal safety.

The regulations require launch vehicle operators to provide certain safety-related information and identify what an operator must do to conduct a licensed launch with a human on board. In addition, launch operators are required to inform passengers of the risks of space travel generally and the risks of space travel in the operators vehicle in particular. These regulations also include training and general security requirements for space flight participants.

The regulations also establish requirements for crew notification, medical qualifications and training, as well as requirements governing environmental control and life support systems. They also require a launch vehicle operator to verify the integrated performance of a vehicles hardware and any software in an operational environment. An operator must successfully verify the integrated performance of a vehicle's hardware and any software in an operational flight environment before allowing any space flight participant on board. Verification must include flight testing.

Congress mandated these regulations in the Commercial Space Launch Amendments Act of 2004. Recognizing that this is a fledgling industry, the law required a phased approach in regulating commercial human space flight, with regulatory standards evolving as the industry matures.

Believe me, these new-era "rocket men" never would have convinced investors to put up big money for building commercial space ships if the developers weren't already dealing with the FAA and making progress with it.

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 05-18-2012, 09:28 PM.

Comment

I'm old enough to make my own decision about what risk I want to expose myself to, how far are we willing to let them protect us from ourselves? I would never get into one of those virgin galactic rides but I think you should have the choice. I also wouldn't go in a sub to the bottom of the marianas trench with james cameron. I think people should be allowed to do an accurate asessment of the risk and make their own choice. People die on everest every year and it's a commercial operation and nobody sqwauks about that.

Comment

Originally posted by knot4u View Post
              I'm old enough to make my own decision about what risk I want to expose myself to, how far are we willing to let them protect us from ourselves? I would never get into one of those virgin galactic rides but I think you should have the choice. I also wouldn't go in a sub to the bottom of the marianas trench with james cameron. I think people should be allowed to do an accurate asessment of the risk and make their own choice. People die on everest every year and it's a commercial operation and nobody sqwauks about that.
              I just saw a document about Norgays son who witnessed ( via radio in base camp ) Rob Hall dying there.

I doubt the space jump with SS2 is going to be that risky.

I have tried to imagine a ship with 40 people where most develope energy by pedalling and 80% comes of it comes via solar panels..that would be risky too, albeit the speed would be only 100-160 km/h. I cannot even imagine how much trouble the local FAA would put the company who tried to make it a business.

Comment

knot4u...

Someone needs to look after them. After all, we are talking about individuals who can't keep 4 wheel inside 2 white lines.

Bob

Comment

Working for NTSB and FAA must be spiritually very demanding. I have been watching the series of aviation crashes...and wandering around the crash scenes picking up small items trying to build the bigger picture for years on just one crash must make one uncertain of getting alive with a bicycle from home to local 7-11.

Comment

Working...
                  X