No announcement yet.

ME-262 coming to Moffett this weekend!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ME-262 coming to Moffett this weekend!

Collings Foundation To Feature Me 262 Replica At Moffett Field
    Part Of The 'Wings Of Freedom' Tour Visiting Mountain View, CA

The Collings Foundation will display a replica of WWII's only operational jet fighter, the Me 262, during the "Wings of Freedom" tour stop at Moffett Federal Airfield in Mountain View, CA, May 18th-26th.

Along with "White 1", the display will feature a collection of rare WWII aircraft, including the Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress “Nine O Nine” WWII Heavy Bomber, Consolidated B-24 Liberator “Witchcraft” WWII Heavy Bomber and P-51 Mustang. The aircraft will fly into Moffett Federal Airfield in Mountain View, CA.

Re: ME-262 coming to Moffett this weekend!

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
    The Collings Foundation will display a replica of WWII's only operational jet fighter, the Me 262, during the "Wings of Freedom" tour stop at Moffett Federal Airfield in Mountain View, CA, May 18th-26th.
    WWII's only operational jet fighter?

The Collings Foundation PR folks have their facts wrong. What about the HE-162 and Gloster Meteor?

Comment

Yeppers, It should have said "...WWII's FIRST operational jet fighter".
      Last edited by AirDOGGe; 05-17-2012, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Oh, lets not be too picky....
        Some people still think the Wright brothers knew how a wing generated lift or held the first patent for wing warping as an aircraft control.....

If you ever get a chance to be in Everett, make sure you take the tour of the ME-262 Factory....very interesting....

Comment

So Collings now has the ONLY operational WWII jet go go along with their ONLY flying B-24.

Comment

Originally posted by Propellerhead View Post
            WWII's only operational jet fighter?

The Collings Foundation PR folks have their facts wrong. What about the HE-162 and Gloster Meteor?
            The Heinkle He-162 Volksjäger (People's fighter) reached service only three days before VE day.
            The Gloster Meteor mkI in 1944 only had ~420 mph speeds and occupied itself chasing down V-1's most of the war, never shot down a single Luftwaffe aircraft.

Okay, now you've got me charged up AirDOGGE, now how do we get ourselves on base?
            Can we still jump the creek? Lol !
            Regardless my eyes will be scanning the sky in the Bay Area this weekend!
            Thanks for the heads-up !!!
            Rampking

Comment

Originally posted by rampking View Post

Okay, now you've got me charged up AirDOGGE, now how do we get ourselves on base?
              Can we still jump the creek? Lol !

Regardless my eyes will be scanning the sky in the Bay Area this weekend!
              Thanks for the heads-up !!!

Take Interstate 101 and exit at the Ellis street exit to the South Gate entrance. Everyone in the car be prepared to show your ID (driver's license is fine) at the gate to be allowed on the base.

In previous years, entrance to the base was free, and I assume that hasn't changed. Access out to the hardtop and the aircraft cost a tiny fee, though you can still see the aircraft for no cost through the chain-link fence. There are usually souvenir stands too.

I took this shot from the "free" side 3-4 years ago. We had a couple of dogs with us that year, and were thus not allowed to go beyond the fence (base rules):

Comment

not the only 262 flying in usa this weekend at wings over the beech military air museums 262 will be flying in there airshow
                www.davemorss.com

Comment

Geez you guys are picky! and don't get me started on the whole B-24 thing! The 262 arrived at Moffett yesterday and will be on display all week. BTW the crew loves dogs...its not our policy to ever deny pet owners!!! Stop out and say hi if you are in the bay area.

jim

the stills are from GoPro footage I have been shooting for an upcoming video

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                    So Collings now has the ONLY operational WWII jet go go along with their ONLY flying B-24.
                    Except for the CAF's B-24A.

Comment

Picky? If part of the Foundation's role is to educate then why not be accurate?

Comment

Originally posted by Harley909 View Post
                        Geez you guys are picky! and don't get me started on the whole B-24 thing!

Aww. We'll do ANYTHING to get you started on talking about B-24s...We'll soak up whatever you want to fling at us like dry sponges!

Originally posted by Harley909 View Post
                        The 262 arrived at Moffett yesterday and will be on display all week. BTW the crew loves dogs...its not our policy to ever deny pet owners!!! Stop out and say hi if you are in the bay area.

jim

Damn! It must have come in while I was in Morgan Hill yesterday. I'll keep my peepers open for the big guys today, and hope to get out there some time this week.

(P.S....Yeah, the "dog thing" was a base issue, not a Foundation restriction. Thx for mentioning it anyway )
                        Last edited by AirDOGGe; 05-18-2012, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Just saw the B-17 on final. Makes you appreciate how brave/courageous those guys were to be rattlin' around inside of an aluminum tube at 30,000 feet and with what they faced.

Keepin' my ears pealed for some Merlin-action.

BTW: Nice shots Harley (I'm SOOO envious).

Comment

On December 20th 1944 My Grandfather, Lt. Donald Bone and his crew bailed out of the B-24 he was flying over Slovenia, the "Rosalie Mae" tail #166. All crew members made it back to their base in San Giovanni, Italy except for the Co-Pilot, Lt. Batham who was captured by a Nazi Patrol and spent the rest of the war in a Prison Camp. It was only the second mission for the tail gunner, Sgt Thomas Boyd who turned 19 that day.

I also have contacted Slovenians in the area where it crashed, one gentleman actually saw the bomber hit the ground. He said "The engines were just howling!" My Grandfather twisted his ankle upon landing and needed assistance just to walk. He offered his wedding ring to a local gal as payment for helping but she refused it!

My Grandmother was immortalized as nose art on the B-24 my Grandfather trained in while stateside. Of course I'll bring a copy of that to show as well!

Sgt Boyd retired from the A.F. and now lives in San Jose close by to Moffet field where I'll be meeting him tomorrow. Then later on we'll share a flight in the Collings foundation B-24!

By the way, Sgt Boyd says I was the first person to contact him about that mission in 66 years! I have a lot of information about Sgt Boyd and the mission of 20 December 1944 and will be bringing it with me to share with everyone.

See you all tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                              Except for the CAF's B-24A.
                              Exactly.....

Comment

Working...
                              X