Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neil Armstrongs 1967 Corvette on ebay, at $250,000. Reserved not met.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neil Armstrongs 1967 Corvette on ebay, at $250,000. Reserved not met.

I came across this story as I was surfing the internet. If I was the seller, I'd take the $250,000 and be extremely grateful. What he has is not worth much. It's not like you are getting the Lunar Module, his astronaut suit...

Text from the ad

THIS IS THE ULTIMATE CORVETTE "BARN FIND". THIS CORVETTE WAS DELIVERED TO MR. NEIL ARMSTRONG THE FIRST MAN ON THE MOON, ON DECEMBER 15, 1966 FROM JIM RATHMAN CHEVROLET IN MELBOURNE FLORIDA UNDER A PROGRAM INITIATED BY MR. RATHMAN TO PROVIDE OUR ASTRONAUTS WITH A CORVETTE. THEY WOULD KEEP THE CORVETTE FOR A YEAR AND THEN TURN IT IN AND GET A NEW ONE. THIS CORVETTE WAS BOUGHT BY A NASA EMPLOYEE WHEN MR. ARMSTRONG TURNED IT IN AND WAS RETAINED BY THE OWNER UNTIL I PURCHASED THE CORVETTE FROM HIM IN FEBRUARY OF 2012. THE CORVETTE HAD BEEN IN A CLIMATE CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT AND NOT DRIVEN SINCE SEPT OF 1981. I HAD TRIED TO BUY THE CORVETTE FOR THE PAST 30 YEARS WITH NO LUCK UNTIL A PHONE CALL LED TO THE PURCHASE RECENTLY. AS CAN BE SEEN IN THE PICTURES THE CAR HAS 30+ YEARS OF DUST AND HAS HAD FENDER FLARES CRUDELY ADDED BY THE OWNER DURING IT'S TIME IN STORAGE. THE ONLY THING THAT HAS BEEN DONE TO THE CAR SINCE I PURCHASED IT IS TO GET THE MOTOR RUNNING WHERE IT CAN BE MOVED ABOUT THE GARAGE. I HAVE PURCHASED N.O.S. FENDERS TO REPLACE THE ORIGINALS THAT WERE CUT FOR THE FLARES. THE ONLY THINGS THAT ARE NOT ORIGINAL ON THE CORVETTE ARE THE WHEELS, WATER PUMP, CARB AND MUFFLERS. I HAVE A N.O.S. CORRECT DATE WATER PUMP AND HAVE LOCATED A CORRECT DATE CARB IN TEXAS. I HAVE ALSO OBTAINED A COMPLETE SET OF ORIGINAL G.M. WHEELS. MY INITIAL PLAN WAS TO RESTORE THE CAR ONLY TO THE POINT OF "SURVIVOR CLASSIFICATION" FROM NCRS, BUT TOO MANY THINGS GOING AT THIS TIME AND THIS CORVETTE IS A TRUE PIECE OF HISTORY AND BELONGS IN A MUSEUM OR PRIVATE COLLECTION. THE TANK STICKER IS COMPLETE AND STILL ATTACHED TO THE GAS TANK AND MUCH OF IT CAN BE READ THROUGH THE DUST, I MADE NO ATTEMPT TO CLEAN IT. THE CORVETTE HAS THE FOLLOWING OPTIONS: 427 C.I. 390 H.P-- A.C.--TINTED GLASS--ELECTRIC WINDOWS-- 4 SPEED TRANSMISSION--RADIO--FACTORY TRANSISTOR IGNITION--THE SPARE TIRE HAD NEVER BEEN REMOVED FROM THE CARRIER AS THE PICTURES SHOW. THERE IS A HIGH RESERVE ON THE CAR DUE TO IT'S HISTORY WHICH IS DOCUMENTED WITH THE ORIGINAL G.M. PROTECT-O-PLATE WITH MR. ARMSTRONG'S INFORMATION. THE MILEAGE CAN NOT BE VERIFIED DUE TO THE SPEEDOMETER CABLE BREAKING SOMETIME DURING THE LATE 1970'S

Here is the ebay link
    Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Chevrolet : Corvette at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Article and comments from yahoo
    A beat-up 1967 Chevrolet Corvette, which astronaut Neil Armstrong purportedly first owned, has attracted astronomical bids on the online auction site eBay. But did the first man to walk on the moon ever drive it?
    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 05-06-2012, 11:47 AM.

Re: Neil Armstrongs 1967 Corvette on ebay, at $250,000. Reserved not met.

I love Corvettes just as much as aircraft and own a '79 coupe. This is an incredible find and a wonderful piece of Corvette and aviation history. Gus Grissom's '67 big-block convertible went for $250K+ a few years ago and it was not even in its original color.

If I had hit that Mega-Millions a few weeks back, I'd buy this, restore it, drive it, and ask Neil to sign the glove compartment lid.

Chappie

Comment

I was just reading about that at Space.com.

If it really is "The first man on the Moon"s old car, then it could very well be worth much more than a quarter-million bucks, at least to wealthy car collectors.

The problem is, from what I've read, is that there's no real proof yet that Neil actually drove that particular car, and collectors are thus worried about the huge bid increases.

A commenter on one of those sites suggested that they should get Neil to verify it himself, but he only had a '67 Stingray for a short time, and I don't think there was anything specially identifiable about it compared to other 1967 blue Stingrays. It's not like Neil modified it in some manner (as the last owner apparently did with the fenders).

The seller offers a data plate with "N.A. Armstrong" on it (protect-o-plate?), but it hasn't been proven that it's Neil's name and doesn't belong to someone else, like a person named "Ned Austin Armstrong" for example. Serious collectors usually like to have more proof to go on to verify claims of this nature before making high bids.

If it IS Neil's. then I hope it ends up in a museum and not hidden away in some private collection.
      Last edited by AirDOGGe; 05-06-2012, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
        If it IS Neil's. then I hope it ends up in a museum and not hidden away in some private collection.
        Couldn't agree more. If someone picks it up for a private collection, I hope it's open to visitors. Something along the lines of The Nethercutt Collection.

Bob

Comment

Working...
        X